Some of the common interview questions asked during a Business Analyst Interview. These may apply to Business Analyst Interviews and System Analyst Interviews as well.
Be prepared with answers for the interview questions below when you prepare for an interview. Also have an example to explain how you worked on various interview questions asked below. Business Analysts are expected to have references and be able to explain from their past experiences. All the Best for a successful career as a Business Analyst!
50 Common Business Analyst / System Analyst Interview Questions
1. What are the roles and responsibilities of a business analyst?
2. What is the purpose of the Business Analyst within an organization?
3. What do you believe are good attributes of a Business Analyst?
4. What is the difference between Business Analyst & System Analyst?
5. How well do you understand Risk and Issue?
6. Describe the phases of the SDLC. Which phases have you worked in?
7. What methodologies have you found to be the most effective, and why?
8. Describe the difference between a Waterfall based methodology and an Agile methodology?
9. What analysis and modeling techniques have you found to be the most effective, and why?
10. What is the importance of a flow chart?
11. Describe three of the different types of diagrams that business analysts most often use.
12. What diagrams and/or other materials do you use to capture and describe customer needs and convey technical information?
13. What are the different types of diagrams and what do you know about them?
14. What is UML modeling?
15. What is a use case model?
16. What is a use case and when would you use it as a Business Analyst?
17. Define and describe the difference between basic flow, exception flow, and alternate flow in use cases
18. Explain the steps you must take to create use cases when working with specific document requirements.
19. What is an activity diagram and why is it significant?
20. How many business case engagements have you worked on? What was your involvement?
21. What are some of the most important points a business analyst must take care of when preparing a business plan?
22. Tell me about a time when you created long-range plans at a previous employer.
23. How do you determine which Business Intelligence (BI) tools to use?
24. If two companies are merging, explain what tasks you would implement to make the merge successful, and how you would implement those tasks.
25. Suppose you are the BA and the technical manager does not agree with you on the solution. He wants to build a Java application instead of using SharePoint. So how you go about talking to him?
26. How do you give about giving a presentation without preparation or knowledge of the subject?
27. Tell me about a time where you had to take a leadership role within a group?
28. When determining requirements, which technique do I prefer most?
29. Give an example of a database you created and what was its functionality
30. How do you normally gather Requirements from end user?
31. What is the difference between a functional requirement and a non-functional requirement?
32. What are the Non Functional Requirements and what factors make them a good NFR?
33. What are the attributes of a good business requirement?
34. What is a user story in an Agile context and how is it used?
35. What is the purpose of requirements traceability?
36. How would you track changes and defects using tracibility matrix
37. When do you use a RACI or RASCI model?
38. How do you ensure your business requirements are of a high quality
39. What is contained within a typical Requirements Management Plan?
40. What is the difference between a functional specification and a business requirements document? How are they related?
41. Describe an effective way to manage change to requirements within a project.
42. What are extends and includes within a use case?
43. What are some of the common tools that a business Analyst uses?
44. What documents should be delivered by a Business Analyst?
45. What is SWOT Analysis?
46. What is the difference between BRD, SRS and Use Case Documents?
47. How do you manage if requirements are changing rapidly?
48. What factors help you determine when the document can be delivered?
49. How do you estimate the delivery of a document?
50. Describe a time when you had to deal with a stakeholder that just didn’t want to participate in one of your requirements workshops and tried to sabotage it. What did you do?